[pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 16:55:02 CST 2006

> Message: 8
> From: Jonathan Scott Duff <duff at pobox.com>
> Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] RFC: Core candidate offerings
>
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 12:19:58PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Actually, it's come up in a number of different contexts and
> > email messages.  At present, there's not a way to have a
> > center-justified paragraph followed immediately by a left-justified
> > paragraph (i.e., without an intervening vertical space).
>
> Oh, so this is more about eliminating the vspace than creating new
> paragraphs ...

In some of my wikis, I just zeroed out the variable that sets vspace,
then added padding-bottom to paragraphs w/in #wikitext. I get all of
the space I want without having superfluous HTML tags. (I also
text-indent: 1em;)

To resolve the problem as above, where there is a left-justified
followed by center-justified sans intervening vertical space, you
could have:

%nopad% Res ipsa loquiter sed quid in inferno decit.
%center% Quid sed in loquiter res ipsa deceit

p { padding-bottom: 1.5em; }
p.nopad { padding-bottom: 0; }

(I've not tested the above. I think %style% is a span, and text-align
is not very effective in spans. In the alternative, >>style<< would
probably be a better answer.)

<snip>

I thought when I originally posted my opposition that the issue had to
be with the vspace variable, and that does appear to be the case. I
remain by my position that the "natural" way to demark paragraphs is
via white space when writing emails and in most wiki engines. I create
the visual cue in the final markup via CSS by padding the paragraph
tag, not HTML. (I do not like the vspace variable.)

IMO, a tool is "complete" when there is nothing left to take away--not
when there is nothing left to add (although by that reckoning I write
many "incomplete" emails). We already have a "natural" way to demark
paragraphs, we should not add another way. As there appears to be a
ready solution to the problem without adding superfluous markup, I
still do not see a reason to add alternative paragraph markups to the
core.

--
Ben Wilson
" Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"