[pmwiki-users] Spam Stuff

Wendell Brown wbrown at arkie.net
Fri Mar 31 14:15:57 CST 2006

Ok folks, I've got a curious observation for you.  While evaluating the
SORBS dns black list as a potential means of blocking wiki spam (which
does seem to be blocking quite a bit of crap for me), I ran across an
odd thing.  It seems that I'm getting regular hits from blocked IP
addresses with absolutely NO content (the $_POST array is empty).  I'm
wondering if this is a bug in someones bot net or if this is some kind
of IP block check.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

FYI, doing a print_r of your $_SERVER and $_POST arrays on blocked
messages is QUITE enlightening as to what the spam scripts are actually
sending - trust me, it's doesn't look the same as a "real" post (e-mail
me off list if you want to see a couple of examples).

Also, for those people using MTBlackList, changing the $BlackLists array
as follows is catching almost 100% of my wiki spam:

$BlackLists = array(
  'Chongqed' => 'http://blacklist.chongqed.org/',
  'MoinMaster' => 'http://moinmaster.wikiwikiweb.de/BadContent?action=raw'
);

After doing some more testing, I'll update the cookbook.