[pmwiki-users] password question

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 28 10:57:40 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:48:39AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:

> Should I send you all of the cigars that Caveman missed out on?  ;-)

Send money?  :-) :-)

> I didn't even think PmWiki associated passwords with actions or pages
> - it just kept a list.

For any active session, PmWiki just keeps a list of passwords
entered thus far and authentications performed.

But when it is time to authorize access, that's the point where
PmWiki needs the association with a page and action.  Certainly
when we make a statement like "set the edit password for the
Site.GroupAttributes page" we're providing PmWiki with a way to
associate a password with a page and an action.  :-)

> So you can't ask "Does the password 'zxcv' allow editing?", but you
> can ask "Does the password 'zxcv' allow editing on the page
> Main.HomePage?" or "Does the author have password 'zxcv' in his
> password array?" (Not that such functions exist, but that is the
> logic.) Is that correct?

Precisely.