[pmwiki-users] password question

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 10:34:08 CST 2006

Tuesday, March 28, 2006, 4:07:08 PM, Neil wrote:
> Everything works fine until someone tries to edit a Site page, at
> which point the prompt should be "you need an admin password".

> I thought about testing for the group and tuning the password prompt
> based on that, but that seems a kludge, and it requires updating the
> prompt logic if I decide to protect other pages.

> Much better would be some logic that says "you are trying to edit
> this page, and I can see that you have already used the shared edit
> password, so you must need a higher level password - like admin."

If your "power users" shall not edit pages in the Site group, you
could have just somewhere an "admin" link linking to Site.Site, and
otherwise have no links to the Site pages displayed. And remove the
edit buttons for site pages, have them showing only when logged in as
admin, i.e with the admin password.

Why try to differentiate a prompt for someone who has logged in with
the shared general edit password and for someone who has logged in
with the general read password, if both haven't got the admin privilege
of editing the Site group pages?

Best,
 Hans