[pmwiki-users] more ShowHide, skins, editing, etc.

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Wed Mar 22 16:56:06 CST 2006

Wednesday, March 22, 2006, 10:10:42 PM, Jon wrote:
> It's not difficult to force PmWiki into perpetual editing mode by using

> if ($action == 'browse') action = 'edit';

> but what's more complex is making preview mode the default.  Below,
> you can see a test wiki where I've implemented some of this.  You
> won't see any text at first, because PmWiki doesn't think I want the
> preview to display.  In order to get to what I'd like you to see, you
> have to click the "Edit this Page" button, then click Preview.  Then
> you'll see what I mean.  Once you do this, you can instantly switch
> back and forth between the edit window and the actual page.

> http://josquin.us/test/index.php?n=Main.HomePage

I feel lyke entering the twylyght zone...

Question: what stops the page from being displayed when I enter it?

Once the page is in edit mode: meaning the page "text" content is
displayed in the  edit text area.

Preview: meaning the text in the edit textarea is rendered as html,
including the markup on GroupHeader and GroupFooter, and displayed.

Instantly switching from Preview to Edit: looking at the same page,
but different parts of it, with the aid of javascript toggling.

The important think not to forget is that any changes you make in the
edit textbox needs to be saved. Preview does not save the page, just
renders wiki markup as html.

So I am not quite seeing the point of just switching views from the
edit textbox to the preview part of the page and back again, unless
you also save the page.

Best,
 Hans