[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:15:23 CST 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> And the essence of good instruction is knowing what details to leave in
> and which to leave out.

I guess I see a page describing terminology differently, i.e. giving
precision more emphasis.

> > It bugs me that the phrasing is incorrect (that's just the way I am), but
> > it's not so important by itself. I just don't want someone thinking that
> > they *have* to use more than one wiki in order to set up things "farm
> > style".
>
> I didn't get that sense from the instructions or the examples. To me,
> setting up a single wiki *is* setting it up farm style -- there's not
> that big a distinction between the two.

Hmm... that's interesting, as I agree with what you just wrote. However,
I'll continue this in the thread about directories.

> What is important is to help people with the question of "Can I run
> multiple wikis from a single source installation, and how do I do that?"

This is enough for people installing a wiki, but the advantage with having
some guidelines and recommendations for a farm, is that it makes it easier
for people to write cookbook recipes that also work well with farms. The
use of $FarmD comes to mind.

Btw, we should put your question on a suitable wiki page! (With an answer
of course...)

regards
/Christian