[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sun Mar 19 17:59:51 CST 2006

At 2006-03-19  03:56 PM -0700, H. Fox is rumored to have said:
> > No not really...  The first definition of a wiki farm implies it must have
> > two or more wikis, which is incorrect although not a big deal in itself.
> > Running a single wiki in a wiki farm framework is easy and I know this,
> > but others might think it's impossible.
>
>We're trading away some absolutely precise accuracy in order to keep
>the description pithy and easier to understand.  The essence of
>WikiFarms is multiple wikis.

The other thing to remember is stated in the line near the top of
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiFarms :

>Why use a farm?
>The primary motivation for using a wiki farm is to reduce the amount
>of administrative work involved in managing several wikis.

If you have a single wiki set up "farm style", then I suspect your
motivation is to provide more security for the shared components or
to more clearly separate the code and content.  Both are useful
goals, but aren't directly connected to creating farms.

If the admin has no intention of adding a second wiki, then calling
the setup a wiki farm is just confusing.

If the admin does intend to add another wiki, the terminology problem
goes away as soon as he does so.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/