[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 19 13:48:31 CST 2006

On 3/19/06, Hans <design at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> farm administrator
> field administrator
>     It is a useful distinction, as a wiki on a farm can be
>     independently administered by a wiki admin who does not need
>     access to the pmwiki directory.
>     I suggest we keep "farm administrator", and use "wiki
>     administrator" for someone who has access to a wiki's local/config
>     files.

These terms serve no useful purpose.  They only serve to add confusion
rather than remove it.

An administrator who only has access to certain configuration files
doesn't need a new title.  I suspect it's rare for these "two
administrators" separate individuals.

It's self-evident that denying access to the farmconfig.php file and
the farm's cookbook/ and pub/ directories will disallow global
configuration.  If it's not self-evident, one sentence to that effect
in the documentation would render the two titles obsolete.

Hagan