[pmwiki-users] Special chars in wikilib.d/files

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 02:44:10 CST 2006

On 3/18/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 03:32:05AM +0100, Thomas Lederer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i am having a night full of headaches. There are files in the i18n files
> > that have special chars (mainly French and German files from what i see
> > (accents and umlauts), all the Japanese seem to work).
> >
> > My problem is, that i am on a mac, and so i can't even untar the file
> > completely (which is a common and known mac issue). I now even tried
> > unpacking the i18n file on a windows machine, and copying the files
> > back, which didn't work either, the umlauts still cause problems (making
> > the files unreadable).
> >
> > My question is: did somebody on this list have a similar problem, and
> > maybe has even a solution?
>
> The problem is that Mac OS/X seems to require that all filenames
> use utf-8 encoding, while PmWiki encodes the filenames with whatever
> encoding was in effect when the pages were created.  For the German
> and French pages, this would be Latin-1/iso-8859-1 encoding.
>
> I don't have a fix for this short of completely redoing the way
> that PmWiki maps pagenames to filenames.  Coming up with a new
> way to do it is easy, coming up with a way to do it that
> preserves compatibility with existing PmWiki installs is
> much more difficult.
>
> Not to mention that there are other issues (e.g., supporting
> case-insensitive pagenames under Unix) that should probably be
> addressed by the change as well.
>
> So, it's a known problem; I don't have a quick or simple fix handy,
> and I'm looking for solutions.  I can't say for sure when I might
> be able to have it fixed.
>
> (Note that a similar problem exists for accented characters in
> uploaded files.)

I also found this a bit annoying having to handle these kind of issues
when migrating wikis between nodes on a heterogeneous network of web
servers. Couldn't the XLPage facilities being used to automagically
set the links title in the appropriate language (thus helping to keep
"locale-oddities-free" names) ?

Regards,
Dom