[pmwiki-users] Blog feature request.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Mar 18 16:39:17 CST 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 11:28:52PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Stirling Westrup schrieb:
> >
> > Anyway, that said, I'd like to request a feature for the new blogging
> > software. [...]
> >
> > It would be far preferable though, if I could have some sort of hidden
> > (author-access only) queue group
>
> No problem with that - adding a group-specific password for 'read' is
> already built in.
>
>  > to which I could pre-publish articles
> > and from which they would automatically get pulled at regular intervals
> > and posted to the main site.
>
> Executive summary:
>
> It's doable, but hasn't been done.
> Doing it would be major work. Don't hold your breath.
> (Oh, and don't take my word for it. I'm looking at things from an
> engineering perspective, which means that I tend to overlook quick&dirty
> solutions that "just do the job".)

The quick & dirty solution:  Create articles in a read-only
WikiGroup, and provide a "publish after" date as an attribute.
When the target date is reached, PmWiki simply moves the article
into the actual (non-read-only) group -- a simple file rename,
or at worst a re-post of the article.  (We could even have it
"re-post" the article properly so that all of the links work,
but that's no problem.)

The schedule of publishing dates could even be managed from a
wiki page:

    * 2006-04-01  Drafts.AprilFools  -> Blog.AprilFools
    * 2006-04-02  Drafts.WereYouFooled -> Blog.WereYouFooled
    * 2006-05-02  Drafts.TheMayFlower -> Blog.TheMayFlower

etc.