[pmwiki-users] WAI compliance

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 19:49:04 CST 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 02:18:46AM +0100, Marco Ferretti wrote:
> I was looking at the gmane searchable archive, and didn't find my post, so I
> am just re-posting
>
> I wanted to propose pmwiki as the base system for a project, but one of the
> constraints is WAI (http://www.w3.org/WAI/) compliance.
> I searched in the on wiki website but found nothing on this topic, so here's
> my question :
> Is pmwiki WAI compliant ??

Depends on what you mean by "WAI compliant" -- technically WAI
publishes guidelines in several different areas relating to accessibility,
and I'm not aware of any tool that meets them all.  I'm guessing
you're looking for WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) compliance.

Late last year there was another thread on the list regarding PmWiki
and Section 508 compliance -- Section 508 covers accessibility
standards required of U.S. Federal agencies.  IMO the end result
of the thread is that that PmWiki fares pretty well on web
accessibility issues.  You can see the full thread of discussion
at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/19819 .

Just now I ran the http://www.pmwiki.org page against the WCAG
Priority 1 checker at http://www.contentquality.com/.  It only
comes back with one "failure", and as I've noted in another message
(http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/19819)
that "failure" is actually because the checker is mis-interpreting
the standard.

So, I think PmWiki is pretty strong about supporting WAI
compliance -- I've certainly kept accessibility issues in my mind
while creating features.  There are probably still some areas
where we can improve, and my offer of adding compliance wherever
PmWiki currrently isn't compliant continues to be true.