[pmwiki-users] Note on tooltip options

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 18:46:00 CST 2006

Saturday, March 18, 2006, 12:02:22 AM, Patrick wrote:
> Also, is it important to make
> a distinction between alt= and title= in images?

alt= should provide information for browsers which do not support
images, or have image loading disabled. It displays instead of the
image.
title= provides descriptive information which usually is displayed as
hover-tooltip-type  text, both in situations where the imageis
displayed or where the alt-text is displayed instead.

So I think it is important to make a distinction between the too.

Isn't alt also necessary for html validation? Perhaps it could be
more encouraged.

    Attach:image.jpg"alternative text" | My Photo caption | hover title

and for links:
   [[ target | link text | hover title ]]

I see the hover title/tooltip always as an add on which will be not
frequently used, whereas link text and caption will be.
thwerefor it should come last, like an extra option, which can be
easily omitted, including the preceding pipe.

and if you want a hover text and no caption for an image:

   Attach:image.jpg"alt text" | | hover text

So for links there is a clear cascade of importance:
 target - link text - hover tip/text
and images follow suit, with the inclusion of "alt text" directly after
the image file, as it should be used.

Best,
~Hans