[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Wed Mar 15 11:48:31 CST 2006

Neil Herber wrote:
> At 2006-03-15  07:43 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>> FWIW, I did a little bit of searching yesterday to see what other
>> packages use as an equivalent to our "wikifarm" term, but didn't
>> find anything.
>
> I am not sure that changing the words will make it any easier to
> understand PmWiki farming, so I propose that we retain the current
> terms, but use them more precisely (as I described in an earlier
> email).
Not just more precisely, but less frequently! As I look at the steps I
followed to create a farm, I think the use of field is the most comment
term. In place of Farm I kept wanting to use "base" install.

<snip>

> If no-one has any strong objections, I will put these definitions at
> the top of the WikiFarms page:
> * A farm (or wiki farm) is a collection of two or more wiki fields
> that use one copy of the PmWiki code.
Sounds good.

> * A field is a single wiki with a unique URL. Each field lives in its
> own directory.
I'd remove the first sentence. It adds little. Thus:
"Each field lives in its own directory, which is usually outside of the
pmwiki farm directory."

Although I prefer the term "base":
"Each field lives in its own directory, which is usually outside of the
base pmwiki directory."

> * The "home field" is where most of the PmWiki code (particularly
> pmwiki.php) lives.
I started refering to this as the "base install", separate to the "base
field" which is the original site.

> I don't think there needs to be a "formal" name for "farm admins" and
> "field admins"  (I found that these terms used up valuable brain
I found them useful when reading, but the reality is, if we just write
the 5 or so steps it takes to create a farm, then the distinction
between farm and field admin is meaningless at the install point. Later
in the process it may become meaningful, but simply define it at the
later point.