[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 15 09:51:38 CST 2006

At 2006-03-15  07:43 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>FWIW, I did a little bit of searching yesterday to see what other
>packages use as an equivalent to our "wikifarm" term, but didn't
>find anything.

Warning: rambling comments below do not reduce confusion.

I haven't found anything like wikifarming, unless you want to
consider virtual domains in Apache to be equivalent. The only other
packages I use with multiple installations on the same server are
PHPBB and Simple Machines Forum (SMF).

I used to have two installations of PHPBB but I replaced them with
SMF and added a third install. Unlike PmWiki I could not find any
simple instructions for either package on how to share the code among
different directories. I would not be surprised to find out that it
is a common thing to do, but I couldn't locate the docs or figure it
out myself so I just made full installs in each directory.

In some ways this is an advantage, because I can completely isolate
each forum. I can experiment with one (making mods) without affecting
the other two. This is possible with PmWiki as well, but not if you
are making mods at the farm-wide level. (I can't think of anything
that you can't try on one field though.)

So really, it is probably a perception issue. It feels to me like the
3 separate installs are "safer" from each other than my PmWiki fields
are. But if I look through the other end of the telescope, I can see
that it is easier to secure all the PmWIki fields with just a few
changes in the farmconfig.php file.

It is a pain to make upgrades to the 3 SMF installs, but that pain is
mitigated by a built in "package manager" which downloads and
installs the components. That would be a nice frill to add to version
7.1.1 of PmWiki. For now, there are lots of other more useful issues
to address.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/