[pmwiki-users] Lost Edits

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 13 18:42:18 CST 2006

On 3/13/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> At 2006-03-13  09:20 AM -0700, H. Fox is rumored to have said:
> >Maybe using a background image like this one?
> >
> >http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki/uploads/Cookbook/preview-background.gif
>
> My first reaction was "What image??" then my tired old eyes found the
> near invisible "preview" label. It would have to be a lot more
> pronounced for me to see it easily. Differences in screen brightness,
> contrast, and gamma settings may make an image this light effectively
> invisible.

That's just an early attempt.  I had it darker at first, but it
overwhelmed the content of the previewed page.  When the image is
tiled in the background, a little contrast goes a long way!

> > > What should happen is that the edit form should suppress the top and
> > > bottom menus and allow only the buttons that are on the edit form to
> > > be visible. Then it would be very difficult to make this error.
> >
> >Even with that, it's possible to click a link in the previewed page.
>
> The "popup" preview that Hans has created makes this less likely
> because you can still see the edit form behind the preview. I think
> the original problem was users scrolling down to the bottom of the
> preview where the edit form is no longer visible and forgetting that
> they were not on the real page.

Hans'  "popup" preview looks effective, but not as a PmWiki default.

> However, someone determined to lose their edits will find a way no
> matter what the admin does.  ;-)
>
> I just want to make it harder to do.

FWIW another (skin / color scheme specific) thing I tried was to place
the following in config.php:

if ($action == 'edit') $HTMLStylesFmt['editbg'] = '
  #wikibody { background-color:#f7f7ff; }';

Hagan