[pmwiki-users] want opinions on a new cookbook recipe format

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 9 19:41:23 CST 2006

On 3/9/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> I think too many rating scales just makes things more complicated.
> I'd rather do one or none at all.

FWIW, I'd like to see separate votes for "relevance" and
"effectiveness" (or something resembling those two), otherwise no
voting at all.

The reason I don't think voting on recipes makes sense is because
under-developed recipes will receive discouraging low votes, and those
low votes won't go away even when the recipe improves.

Put another way, if someone comes up with a brand new recipe that is
voted "highly relevant" but "needs work" they're *encouraged* to keep
developing the recipe.  If they just get low votes they'll have
disincentive to continue.

I even think the mere prospect of getting low votes may discourage
some people from posting a recipe, especially an incomplete one or one
that's merely functional that could use some additional development.
IMHO separate votes for "relevance" and "effectiveness" would reduce
that pressure.

If you think two is too many rating scales, then IMHO voting will work
against encouraging contributions to the Cookbook.

Hagan