[pmwiki-users] PmWiki/ConditionalMarkup

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 9 17:22:11 CST 2006

On 3/9/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:58:01PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > > We can always do "-> %code% [@ ... @]" -- it double-applies
> > > the wikistyle if %code% has "apply=block" in it.
> >
> > I don't understand... Since the left margin is already there (in the
> > %code& wikistyle definition), why would someone do "-> %code% [@ ...
> > @]"?  Why not just do "code margin-left=70px[@ ... @]" instead?
>
> Because I might want:
>
>     ## Here's a numbered list item
>
>     ---> %code% [@
>     some indented stuff
>     @]
>
>     ## Another numbered list item

Of course...

[..]
> In short, I think it makes sense for something like
> %code% to identify things such as borders, background
> color, font,

Some of those might clash with a skin or two.  (For example, imagine
if someone tries a white-on-black page template.  I once tried, but
too much styling was hard-coded into PmWiki at the time.)

> and perhaps a minimum indent level, but
> I don't think it should be solely responsible for
> the indent level.  Part of me also thinks that
>
>     %code% [@
>     @]
>
> shouldn't be indented.

Heh... I was thinking the only things it should define are margin and
padding (and let the stylesheet take over from there).  In that case
maybe we've come full circle, where

    [@
    @]

Shouldn't produce a trailing blank line.  For some reason even an
empty wikistyle like this

    %%[@
    @]

doesn't produce the blank line.  I added a fourth example to this page

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/PreformattedBlock?skin=dropdown

> One last item -- I'm not sure if something like %code%
> should be defined for just the PmWiki group or
> for the entire wiki.  Somehow I'm reluctant to
> define it site-wide, but I think it'll be confusing
> to authors and admins if it isn't ("why doesn't it
> format the same in the Main group?").

I'd say site-wide would be best.

> apply=pre might not be defined....now it is.

It works now.  Thanks.

Hagan