[pmwiki-users] EditGettingStarted (was: TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Mar 6 15:59:10 CST 2006

On Monday, 6 March 2006 6:58 PM, Bronwyn Boltwood <bronwyn at bronwynb.info> wrote:
>On 06 Mar 2006 12:12:49 +1300, John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Friday, 3 March 2006 6:38 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>> >On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:24:30AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> >The hardest part is deciding what to include or exclude.
>> >BasicEditing was intended to be short, but it doesn't work
>> >out that way.
>>
>> I think to get started, one wants to learn about 3 areas:
>>
>> - paragraph markup (eg lists and headings)
>
>Specifically bulleted and numbered lists -- the other kinds can
>wait.
>
>>  I kinda prefer 'paragraph' to 'block'
>>  I kinda prefer 'character' to 'inline'
>
>Another advantage is that word processing programs use the terms
>"character" and "paragraph" for inline and block formatting
>respectively.
>
>> Each topic would also have a link to a fuller page.
>
>Yes please.
>
>> Finally, I'd link to the MarkupMasterIndex, only I think
>> I'd rename it to MarkupVocabulary or something similar
>> (TopicMap, MarkupGuide, ...)
>
>How about AllMarkups?

Does markup take an ess? I think it may be like sheep and fish.
Perhaps, like London taxi drivers have TheKnowledge, pmwiki has
TheMarkup.

Where to next
I'll create a draft EditGettingStarted page and tidy the
MarkupMasterIndex, with a (:title The Markup:), to bring things
into line. This may not be for a day or so.

--
JR