[pmwiki-users] More on AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 3 17:34:00 CST 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:02:02AM +0100, Dominique Faure wrote:

> > > Why not use the salt marker '$' as a password prefix to make
> > > distinction between user, @group and $password despite that this could
> > > provide headaches with PHP string handling?
> >
> > Not all PHP installations and configurations use '$' as the salt
> > marker.  (I suppose PmWiki could add it in those cases where PHP doesn't
> > provide, and remove it on the other side.)
> >
> > Plus, it's totally not intuitive to people using ?action=attr to have
> > to add '$' or 'pass:' in front of a string to tell PmWiki "this is
> > a password".
> >

> That's but what they alredy did when they copy/paste the result of the
> ?action=crypt, no?

Ah, it's that nefarious "they" term.  :-)

?action=crypt is generally for admins -- I wasn't really talking about
admins.  I'm talking about the authors who are using ?action=attr to
set passwords on pages.  Requiring an author to add "pass:" or a $ in
front of a password in the ?action=attr form is probably not very good.