[pmwiki-users] ajax-like skins (was: new recipe ShowHide)

Jon Haupt jhaupt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 10:06:22 CST 2006

This idea of show/hide divs using javascript has had me wondering if
more could be done with ajax-like technology to make a very nice skin.
 I'm intrigued by the wiki engine over at SWiK (example project page:
http://swik.net/pmwiki).  What's neat about this skin is not only do
things show and hide on the fly, but indeed you can 'flip' them so
that, for example, clicking on an edit button replaces the wiki text
with the edit window.  Being an ajax project, you don't have to keep
reloading the page when you want to do various actions.  I believe
what is happening there is loading the page actually loads all of the
information but it's sort of like looking at different sides of a
piece of paper, right?

Wouldn't it be neat if you could put several actions into something
like this, so that you wouldn't have to reload the page if you a)
wanted to edit the page, b) wanted ?action=attr,diff,etc.

Anyhow, I think this kind of thing would make a great PmWiki skin and
I'm thinking this recipe could be a good first step toward something
like that.

Jon

--
Jon Haupt