[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 1 11:27:15 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:07:43PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> > Why do this?  Well, for normal interactive sites, it's not needed.
> > But some people feel more comfortable seeing page names with ".html"
> > in the url,
>
> Actually it's the other way round: URLs should end with .html (or .php
> or whatever).

Not according to W3C (http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI):

    What to leave out

    Everything! After the creation date, putting any information
    in the name is asking for trouble one way or another.
    [...]
    * File name extension. This is a very common one. "cgi", even
      ".html" is something which will change. You may not be using
      HTML for that page in 20 years time, but you might want
      today's links to it to still be valid. The canonical way of
      making links to the W3C site doesn't use the extension.
    * Software mechanisms. Look for "cgi", "exec" and other give-away
      "look what software we are using" bits in URIs. Anyone want to
      commit to using perl cgi scripts all their lives? Nope? Cut out
      the .pl. Read the server manual on how to do it.

This is one reason why PmWiki has always supported and preferred
extension-less urls over those with extensions.