[pmwiki-users] Google Returns ?action=source Page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jun 27 01:34:38 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:21:26PM -0700, Robert Heaton wrote:
> I setup a pmwiki site, and it got indexed by Google, but the link on
> google search page ends with ?action=source. So this just
> gives a source page.

It's just one link that has ?action=source.  Do a google search
for "site:www.diamondridge.ot1.com" and you'll see all of the
pages that Google has indexed.  (Click the "repeat the search with
omitted results included" to see the full list.)

> How do I fix this?

Depends on what you mean by "fix"... (more)

> PS: do a find on Google with ident912543910293401 as a key word to see this.

Searching for "ident912543910293401" returns only the ?action=source
page because that's the only page that actually contains the
search string in the (viewable) output.  The version of the page
without ?action=source doesn't have the string in its visible output,
so Google didn't index it that way.

(This is just another way of saying that Google doesn't index pages
based on the contents of meta tags -- only on the body text.)

Also note that in PmWiki 2.1 and later, the default PmWiki setting
is to block Google and other search spiders from accessing pages
with ?action=source.