[pmwiki-users] Easy .htaccess authentication setup?

Alan Hoyle alanh at email.unc.edu
Thu Jun 22 08:46:38 CDT 2006

On 6/22/06, Ian Barton <lists at manor-farm.org> wrote:

> > I've been playing with PmWiki a little bit.  It's pretty easy to set
> > up a .htaccess file that would restrict any access to the Wiki, but
> > I'm wondering if there's an easy way to set it up so it would be
> > readable to anyone, but editing would require authentication.  In
> > particular, we use Kerberos (or an LDAP-Kerberos gateway) for general
> > authentication, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to set it up
> > to use that.
>
> If you change .htaccess to be owned and writeable by the webserver, you
> can then construct a separate page that requires authentication that can
> read and write htaccess.
>
> However, you might want to consider if making hatccess writeable by the
> web server creates any security problems.

Perhaps my original query was unclear.

I want to have a Wiki that is readable by unauthenticated users, but
the only people that can edit it will be authenticated by an external
authentication method.  (

Right now, I can use a .htaccess file to create something that
requires Apache authentication (using our kerberos infrastructure) for
everything, but I can't set it up for unauthenticated reading.

-alan

--
   Alan Hoyle  -  alanh at unc.edu  -  http://www.alanhoyle.com/
                Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.