[pmwiki-users] Summary line in PITS and Cookbook

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Mon Jun 19 14:18:20 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:21:20AM -0400, Pico wrote:
> > Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > >On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 04:59:29PM -0400, Pico wrote:
[snip]
> In general, I don't want pmwiki.org to stray *too* far from a default
> PmWiki installation.  In other words, if performing a search on
> pmwiki.org returns some highly specialized results, it ought to be
> documented somewhere (i.e., a recipe) how someone can duplicate
> that capability on their own site.  Otherwise people get disappointed
> when their copy of PmWiki doesn't do everything the pmwiki.org site
> does, and I don't like disappointing people.
> [snip]

How do you feel about the approach being used on PmWiki/Search: combining
specialized search results with an overview of the search function and available
documentation?

If successful, such an approach would provide an entry point for:

1. Documenting PmWiki's search function

2. Showing how searches can be targeted and customized

3. Providing a specialized search for PmWiki documentation (including Cookbooks
and PITS)

At this point, the search results used in that page are basically a proof of
concept (and the motivation for my posts in this thread).  To move beyond this
point, I would like to:

1. Simplify and cleanup the underlying markup (and results) as much as possible,

2. Define search results that will work on any site, even though the scope of
results on PmWki.org with be broader and more up-to-date.  Ideally, a reader who
runs the search on a separate site will receive (a) results relevant to that
site (based on the version of distributed documentation residing on the site)
and (b) a link offering to expand the results by having them run from PmWiki.org

Pico