[pmwiki-users] Pageindex and distributed documentation (Was Strange pagelist behaviour)

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue Jun 13 08:43:56 CDT 2006

In a thread called "Strange pagelist behavior" Marc Cooper wrote:
[snip]
> [...]
[snip]
> Anyway, the long and short of it is that I deleted the .pageindex file
> in the home wiki, and missing items reappeared.
> [snip]
http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2006-June/028960.html

That raises several questions for me that it would be helpful to get
some feedback on.

(1) Are there situations when we should recommend that administrators
delete their pageindex file as part of an upgrade?

Marc's situation seemed to involve an upgrade to a WikiFarm that could
not take full advantage of revisions to the distributed documentation
until the pre-existing pageindex file (on the field?) was deleted.

(2) Are there other situations, besides pageindex, where upgrades to
wikifarms may involve issues that might not ordinarily be a concern when
upgrading to a non-farm installation?

(3) Should these be dealt with through documentation, or programatically?

(4) Should distributed documentation be treated differently from all
other (site and author generated) content, when it comes to pageindexing
and pagelists?

Brainstorming here, we could be talking about:

(a) a separate pageindex for distributed documentation,

(b) using farm-aware code, the way we used $FarmD in our
configuration.php files, that will look for the pageindex on the farm
when accessing distributed documentation in the PmWiki group,

Your thoughts?

Pico