[pmwiki-users] Hierarchical menus

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Jun 10 07:34:25 CDT 2006

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
>
>> FYI For those who have been thinking about hierarchical menus:
>>
>> I have implemented a dynamic hierarchical menu system for PmWiki (see a
>> sample at www.dufferinpark.ca/market), using nested wiki lists (*%list
>> menulist%...) and javascript at the client end.
>>
>> I'll publish it shortly as a cookbook item...
>
> I look forward to that, the presentation of a hiearchical structure at
> the top of the page is something I've felt I need for some time now!
>
> /Christian

The structure at the top of the page looks like a WikiTrail hierarchical
  trail with the same basic breadcrumb functionality, although the icons
are a nice addition.

Henrik's implementation of a dynamic hierarchical menus system seems to
be in the side bar (rather than at the top of the page).  It is
interesting that he chose to present the hierarchy starting with the
"lowest" (document) level at the top and the "highest" (department)
levels at the bottom. It took some getting used to.  I suppose that
decision was made in order to keep the related documents at the very top
of the SideBar and push to the bottom the much larger number of separate
departments.  That works, but it takes some getting used to because it
seems counter-intuitive.

As for the structure of Henrik's site, it looks like it uses WikiFarms
to provide a third level of hierarchy, i.e.:

1. WikiFarm fields for the first level: "Website Departments",
2. Groups for the second level: "Folders in Department" and
3. Page for the third level: "Document in Folder"

Is that something of interest (integrating farm fields to provide three
levels) that has not been previously thrown into the mix of the
hierarchy discussions? (My reading of this thread has been hot and miss).

Pico