[pmwiki-users] Server open file count growing

Doug Carter doug at isotropic.net
Thu Jun 8 11:06:50 CDT 2006

Context:
 pmwiki 2.1.6 using Farms, "neutral" skin, no cookbook items
 PHP 4.4.1
 OpenBSD 3.9 with default chrooted Apache 1.3

On the surface pmwiki seems to be working perfectly (and is much
appreciated by the former Sharepoint user base :)

I have a problem that manifests itself as a growing list of files
kept open by Apache (user www on my system) that seems to be
driven by pmwiki editing.

I can restart Apache and then count the number of open files that
it owns (fstat -u www|wc) and I see about 85 open files.  This
seems quite normal as each of the ten initial httpd daemons opens
various files when they initialize.

After operating for about a week (with very moderate usage) this
count grew to about 1,300 open files and I started getting errors
from other applications complaining about lack of file
descriptors.

I restarted Apache and over the last week I have watched the open
file count slowly grow.  After a bunch of editing of pages this
morning the count grew by about 100 files; it is now at 437 open
files.

This server is also our mail server (Postfix & DoveCot) but I
don't think they are driving this...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--