[pmwiki-users] New recipe, PmFeed 0.01

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Tue Jun 6 09:11:34 CDT 2006

Roman wrote:
> On 6/5/06, Chris Cox <ccox at airmail.net> wrote:
>> I created yet another RSS feed displayer called PmFeed.  It uses lastRSS
>> and embeds it (so you don't have to download separately).  I needed
>> a good feed displayer, and the other recipes didn't work out well
>> for me... so I figured I might as well share what I came up with.
>
> I like the lightweightness of this recipe. It also solves some
> problems that I have with magpie based one. Here are my comments and
> suggestions:
>
> - It is recommended to have only one <h1> on a page, so I suggest to
> change the feed title to <h2>

Actually based on a suggestion I got from the list, I will
make these configurable.  Just haven't made the change yet.
You'll be able to change the element usage probably with
variables...

> - All elements of an RSS item are optional - there are feeds that
> don't have item link. PmFeed does not show titles of such feed items.

:)  I'll see what I can do... do you have some examples?  That
would help me out.

> - Is there a reason to have cache in wiki/pub directory? I would
> choose a directory not accessible from outside.

Hmmm... didn't know that most people made their pubs accessible.
Just set $PmFeedCacheDir in your config.php to go somewhere
else (before pmfeed.php is included).  Is there a better default?
Feel free to suggest something.  At least it is settable today.

> - I think that pubDate should be displayed after the item title
> (useful for feeds that don't change so often)

Sounds like a good add.

> - There are lot of feeds that don't have just simple text in item
> description but also some HTML elements, for example links. Such
> elements are stripped by PmFeed. Could it be changed to keep the
> content of CDATA and display it without any modification?

My recipes tend to disallow arbitrary HTML... but
that's probably more of "me" disallowing it.  I'll see if
I can add it as an option (even if I personally think it could
mess up many things on a PmWiki page).

> Thank you

Thank you for the good suggestions and ideas,
Chris