[pmwiki-users] self-registering for notification emails

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jun 4 15:42:05 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 10:36:07AM -0500, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> Please confirm I'm understanding this correctly:
> [...]
> 3) then each user can create a trail on his/her own watchlist page.
>
> BUT
>
> 4) The trail functionality is limited to manually, individually keyed
> links - meaning:
>  4a) no pagelist-generated list will work to populate the trail, and
>  4b) There's no point in placing a Group.RecentChanges on the trail, either.
>
> SO
>
> 5) If a user wants to watch a whole wikigroup, for instance, or other
> dynamically-defined selection, that will need to be put on the
> Site.NotifyList page by someone with edit-rights to it.
>
> Correct?  Or am I missing something (which wouldn't surprise me one bit)?

You have it right.  Part of the reason for the restriction is that
it could quickly get very expensive to scan lots of pages looking for
notify= entries.

I may see about developing an extension to notify that would allow
trail pages (or equivalent) to also specify pages to be watched
via group= or link= specifications.