[pmwiki-users] New definition list functionality

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Jun 3 09:24:49 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 08:30:47PM +0000, Pico wrote:
>> Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

>>> Actually, this isn't at all new -- it's been in PmWiki for many years.
>>> It only works for $Variables.  Any markup of the form $VariableName
>>> does a search of the pages in the PmWiki.Variables and returns
>>> a link to that page.  Any definition that is of the form :$VariableName:
>>> automatically generates an anchor for that definition.
[snip

>> I would be very interested in reading anything more you might have to
>> say about this feature and the issues that would need to be resolved.
>> [...]
>
> Unfortunately I don't have time this week to respond at length, but
> it really has to do with markup.  In the case of vardoc, it's easy
> because all of the "terms" begin with a dollar sign and are immediately
> followed by a WikiWord.  In a general case, we'd need a special markup
> to call out specific terms for linking, and I'm not happy with the
> ones proposed thus far (nor yet convinced of the need for it in the core).
>
> I may be able to write more on this over the weekend or next week.
>
> Pm

BTW, I noticed that the definition linking for the $Author variable was
escaped (on PmWiki/BasicVariables).  I assume that was by you, for a
reason, but thought I might bring it up in the off-chance it wasn't (or
if it reminds you of an underlying issue that needs to be tracked or
addressed at some point).

Pico