[pmwiki-users] Upgrade concerns with Site.PageListTemplates

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 2 23:59:16 CDT 2006

I have a few concerns with Site.PageListTemplates when
it comes to upgrades.  Since this page is effectively
code just like pmwiki.php, it greatly affects the way
sites render.  This leads me to believe that great
care should be taken with its content, almost to the
point of having it controlled explicitly by Patrick so
that he can ensure that:

1) Things do not change drastically without good
reason since this could severely impact sites when
they upgrade.

2) The pmwiki philosophies are also applied to this
page as they would to core components.

Now I'm not trying to make things difficult for people
to make improvements, I value the wiki philosophy of
allowing many people to edit things, but I think that
we would lose little if this were enforced, and we
would gain a lot.  There are many ways that pagelist
template authoring can stay productive without letting
people edit this page.  I know that there is already a
password, but I feel that this might still make it too
easy for us pmwiki hackers to get our cool new
templates onto that page.  We like people to see our
code, it's the way we are, but in this case I think
that we could use Patrick's gatekeeping (he is a very
good gatekeeper for this kind of stuff, it is a big
reason why we like pmwiki so much!)

There already is a Cookbook.PageListTemplateSamples
and this is a great place to show case them.  If
needed this page could include a core candidate and a
voting section for the various templates.  I also
think that if templates are needed for the main pmwiki
site, but the pages using them are not going to make
it into the distro (say Cookbook pages) then these
templates should be somewhere else and not on this
page (this is just a thought, I don't know if there
are actually any cases of this.)

Ciao,

-Martin