[pmwiki-users] html2wiki

José Geraldo Gouvêa jggouvea at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 20:29:31 CDT 2006

I have seen on pmwiki.org that there is a request for a tool to convert html
text to wiki markup. I left a small note on top of the page mentioning that I
have found such a tool: a perl script called html2wiki (part of the package
libhtml-wikiconverter-perl on ubuntu).

html2wiki IS the solution for offline conversion:

html2wiki --dialect=PmWiki file.html > file.wiki

It works! And the generated code is quite clean: no cluttered paragraphs, all
headings and links handled correctly. The only time it choked with me was
while converting a firefox bookmarks file (the bookmarks were to be put as a
definition list, but the empyt dt tags of the links which weren't named broke
the process).

Now, what? The generated wikitext must be inserted into a wiki page. Because
PmWiki does not store the page content into a separate text file it is still
necessary to open the page for editing. Perhaps in the future we find some
way to improve this.

--
José Geraldo Gouvêa