[pmwiki-users] DOCTYPE suppression is that bad?

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Sat Jul 29 09:13:10 CDT 2006

> Simply take advantage of the fact that IE doesn't parse documents
> according to HTML/SGML, but just threats DOCTYPE as a magic string.

Due to my ignorance, the real meaning of your words is not clear.
I'll trust you, anyway :-)

> Start document like this:
> <!-- comment to trigger quirks mode in buggy browsrers -->
>         "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
>
> I've tested it on IE6 and IE7b3 - both confuse comment on first line for
> doctype, and they don't see the actual one.

Ok, I'll try, as soon as I go back to my computer.

And, as you seems informed, what about the thing that (not only)
Kathryn wrote; the DOCTYPE not being the very first line on a page
(just like your example here above) will negatively affect good
browsers (Mozilla & al.)?

Luigi