[pmwiki-users] Data storage project

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Fri Jul 28 10:15:08 CDT 2006

The Editor said...
> > Is there any chance that you could give a precise overview of what you
> > are trying to achieve?
> >
> Sure!  Happy to do whatever I can to get help with this project.
>
> My basic goal is to take data from a form and store it on a wiki page
> in such a format it is searchable, editable, etc., and then make that
> data available elsewhere as page variables.
>
> Buildforms is close to this, but it stores the data in separate
> Group.Name.Val pages without any PmWiki footers or headers.  And it is
> not indexed (I'm guessing) so the data is not searchable or editable.

This sounds very interesting, but I'm still not clear what you're up to.
Let me describe what I think you're saying in a bunch of steps and you
can correct me where I've misunderstood.

You are processing form input from a PmWiki page, storing the data as a
PmWiki page, and creating the ability to view and edit the information,
once more, in a form - instead of as a regular PmWiki page.

In addition, each data item can be accessed as a page variable on any
page in the wiki. (What is the syntax for this, as a matter of interest?
How do you identify the "form page"?)

If I'm close, then I'd be happy to work with you to turn this into
something generic - a recipe.

> if it works, it would allow for some awesome possibilities:
>
> * Member Preferences, editable, searchable, updatable by form, and
> useable in conditionals anywhere in the wiki.
> * Shopping Carts, where each user can have their own order form.
> * Educational tracking programs where you can score quizzes/tests/etc
> and unlock features based on their progress--preserved between visits.
> * A new way of doing PITS--type tracking, allows multiple forms to
> display different data for different users.
> etc., etc., etc.

Is that all? :-)

--
Best,