[pmwiki-users] New skin design...

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Jul 25 02:47:32 CDT 2006

The Editor said...
> Hi all!
>
> Just uploaded a new skin design for my site and it really looks great
> (IMHO).  Appreciate how easy it is to make major changes like this on
> PmWiki.  Great stuff.
>
> Two quick questions though. While it all looks perfect in Firefox, I
> noticed there are some IE problems.
>
> First, I can't force the top right table cell to stay small when the
> overall page is short--forcing the cell below to bump down lower on
> the page.
>
> Second, while I have the following line in my style sheet, the edge of
> the some pages bleed off the end of the page where I can't see the
> last few letters.
>
> #main { margin-left: 20; margin-right: 50px; }
>
> You can see these problems illustrated at:
>
> (1) http://www.fast.st/fastwiki/fast/index.php?n=Tools.Certification   and
> (2) http://www.fast.st/fastwiki/fast/index.php?n=Tools.Tools
>
> Any suggestions how to improve this skin for IE, and is this cool
> little skin something worth adding to our already full repository of
> skins?

Nice job :-) Yup, put it in the library.

I didn't investigate your problem beyond noticing that the pages don't
validate. Numero uno issue is:

   line 1 column 1 - Warning: missing <!DOCTYPE> declaration

"A DOCTYPE Declaration is mandatory for most current markup languages
and without one it is impossible to reliably validate a document. The
DOCTYPE defines the version of the document like : HTML 4.0.1, XHTML
1.0, 1.1, .."

All bets are off with IE at this point - and all other browsers for that
matter.

Use the HTML Validator extension in Firefox to make validation easy.

Also, you'll want to drop all those HTML attributes and put them in a
style sheet - you have some proprietary <td> backgrounds, for exmaple.

Tsk, tsk.

--
Best,
Marc