[pmwiki-users] wysiwyg editor for wiki

DrFredC.com drfredc at drfredc.com
Sun Jul 23 22:30:41 CDT 2006

For a huge part of the 90s, I used a modest wysiwyg html editor to
maintain a free flow web site.  Sure, I had to upload the finished
product.  While I generally avoided html coding, it occasionally was
desirable and attainable with a simple click to 'source'.  All in all,
it wasn't all that different than a wiki in many ways, except for a few
clicks to upload.

That being said, one thing that concerns me about online wysiwygs is
overhead.  While many in the metro world operate on high speed, there's
still a fair amount of dialup accounts out there, particularly in rural
areas.  There's also potentially a lot of server overhead operating an
online wysiwyg editor for a busy wiki.

Perhaps the (best?) option might be to develop a wysiwyg editor that
wiki/editors might download (perhaps for free, or a modest price or by
webmaster approval) that would allow 'editors' to edit online at their
local site using the downloaded webware.

I suppose it's also possible such a wysiwyg editor might be configured
to seamlessly provide an additional layer of 'security' so that only
approved folks (like subscribers?) could edit the wiki, or some section
of a wiki.

--

Always, Dr Fred C
drfredc at drfredc.com