[pmwiki-users] HtmlCache, Internationalizazion, layout problem

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 17 16:50:58 CDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 04:00:17PM +0200, Thomas Bley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> - Translation: My page is in English and I want to offer several pages
> also in German.
> e.g. I have index.php?n=Main.Home and when I use
> index.php?n=MainDe.HomeDe to create a new page, I'd like to get the
> content from the English page in the edit form, how can I do this ? (I
> saw this on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiMi/PmWikiMi?action=edit)

pmwiki.org has custom code in the config.php file that sets
$EditTemplatesFmt for groups matching PmWiki[A-Za-z][A-Za-z].

> - When the page is translated once, is it possible to translate only the
> changes ? e.g. to get a edit-form which shows me only the wiki-source
> that has changed (and when I hit the save button, it applies the
> translated changes to the translated page) ?

Not at present (at least not without a custom recipe, such as SectionEdit).

> - What is $EnableHTMLCache ? Can I use this flag to
> cache my pages as Html to disc ?

$EnableHTMLCache is still experimental.  Yes, when enabled (and when
$PageCacheDir is set) it causes PmWiki to cache (some) pages as html
rather than re-generating each page from the markup source on each
access.

It remains "experimental" because, on pmwiki.org at least, I found
that caching the HTML was actually slowing things down a bit, because
of the latency required to write the cache files.  While this seems
totally counter-intuitive, it may be tied to the way my virtual
private server was configured in February.  (On the other hand,
performance has vastly improved for pmwiki.org since then, so it
may simply have been that my VPS was misconfigured.)

It's also important to note that there are a lot of pages that
cannot be reliably cached.  This includes any pages that have
author-specific settings of any sort, including pages with
read passwords, auth-based conditional markup, etc.  So, it
doesn't seem to be as useful as might be expected at first.

> - I upgraded to the latest version and
> before I had 2.0.beta9, now it is 2.1.11, my problem (I'm using the
> light skin):
> %sidehead% [[Main/Feedback | Give feedback]]
>
> %sidehead% [[Main/Contact]]
>
> got rendered as:
>
> now it gets rendered as:

> I tried putting "\\" and "[[<<]]" between, but couldn't make it work
> again. Is it a css problem ?

Yup.  It looks to me as though the .vspace class is missing
from the CSS output somewhere.  You might try updating the
light skin, or for a quick fix simply set the following in
local/config.php:

    $HTMLVSpace = "<p class='vspace'></p>";