[pmwiki-users] Shoutbox

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Sat Jul 15 15:14:13 CDT 2006

For the moment, not having an alternative at hand, I managed to take a
small shoutbox from http://www.venturenine.com/ and let it float over
my wiki by use of a javascript taken from
http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/float_slideshow.shtml
It is a brutal hack perhaps, but it works and solves the problem for
the time. It seems also quite practical for exchanging quick messages.
The shoutbox is mounted here as a test for you to
try:http://www.kirpi.it/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Intranet

Two issues are still open, which might also be of more general
interest for many.

1) The shoutbox is supposed to be used "within" an intranet (i.e. an
"Intranet" group protected by AuthUser), while at the moment it is
accessible even if you are not logged in. What would be the best way
to let the shoutbox script work only once the user is logged in? They
are both PHP things: does this help? Is there any variable I can use
to let one script check for the other?

2) Once you are logged in into the wiki, you id is stored into
something called $AuthId, if I'm not wrong.
Now, I tried and put this "$AuthId" thing into the "Name" field of the
shoutbox, hoping to let it take automatically the right id from the
wiki, but it doesn't seem to work.
This is the field before
value="<?=$input[name]?>" class="input" maxlength="15" />
and after my... cure.
value="<?=$AuthId?>" class="input" maxlength="15" /></div>
Am I too wrong in handling things this way?

Luigi