[pmwiki-users] persistence of login (hello?)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 10 17:16:51 CDT 2006

Going back to the original request...

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 07:42:14AM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 02:06:27PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:24:23AM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > > I am running PmWiki for our intranet at work, and users have been
> > > complaining that they keep on getting logged out; they want the login to
> > > last as long as the browser is open, but they log in, do stuff, and then
> > > come back the next day to find that they've been logged out again.

Since we want the login to last as long as the browser is open,
let's not muck with the session cookie settings (which is that the
session cookie expires when the browser is closed).  That just means
we want the session data to last longer than 24 minutes.

So, in the php.ini file, change the session.gc_maxlifetime
setting to read 604000 instead of its current value (1440 is the default).
This will cause sessions to expire after seven days of inactivity.

People will also be "logged out" whenever the browser is closed.

This setting can also be changed in a per-directory .htaccess file,
or even possibly in config.php, but setting it in php.ini will lead
to the least amount of difficulties.

One side effect of this setting is that session files from people who
have logged out will hang around for 7 days before being cleaned up
(instead of 24 minutes).  However, for your specific application this
probably isn't an issue.

Hope this helps,