[pmwiki-users] 404 Not Found

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 13:36:46 CST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 08:06:45PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, H. Fox wrote:
> >
> > > For PageNotFound, searching for {$Group}RecentChanges might work if
> > > blank RecentChanges pages for the three default groups were bundled in
> > > the distribution.
> >
> > Here's a related philosophical question... does the group exist if there's
> > only the page
> >
> > 		SomeGroup.RecentChanges
> >
> > I'd actually answer 'no' on this one, but your mileage probably varies :-)
> >
> > This would be the case if someone has tried to delete a group (getting rid
> > of RecentChanges as a normal user is difficult IIRC).
>
> The version of Site.PageNotFound that I've adopted for beta21 is
> now on pmwiki.org, for those who are interested.

Yes, I just noticed. Here's my impression after some testing:

* Going to a page that does not exist in a group that exists

	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/NotThere

  For this the page looks good.

* Going to a page that does not exist in a group that does not exist

	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Tast/NotThere

  Hmm, there's no indication at all that I'm creating a new group.
  What about a message letting the user know that it'll be created in
  a new group?

* Going to a URI that only points to the group

	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/NotThere

  Hmm... although there's no indication I'm creating a new group, it
  bothers me less here since it does say "Create NotThere.NotThere".

Here's a minor suggestion though... in the last example, and perhaps with
other page names, it'd be nice with some difference between the text
"Create" and "NotThere.NotThere". Could we make the name of the page
emphasized or strong?

/Christian