[pmwiki-users] passwords

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 02:01:28 CST 2006

2006/1/27, Phil Seyer <weddingdj at gmail.com>:
> PMwiki Documentation says:
>

> To set the entire site to be editable only by those who know an "edit"
> password, add a line like the following to local/config.php:
>
>  $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('edit_password');
>
> In the documentation I have trouble telling when I need to substitue my own
> specific data into the command line.
> For example, do I need to change 'edit_password" to the actual password for
> editing or just leave it as
> 'edit_password' ?
>
> Thanks
> Phil Seyer

Writing

 $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('edit_password');

will expose the clear-text password to anyone able to access the
source page as plain text. This could happen in several cases like
having a misconfigured web server.
Using

 $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = '$1$SF4.z./.$y5u/NTWgGMytRjSFmUpMk.';

won't reveal it at all.

Regards,
Dom