[pmwiki-users] action=ruletable

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Jan 23 02:56:04 CST 2006

Pierre-Marie CARETTE schrieb:
> Thanks for your answer. It's important to preserve the future of
> pmwiki and try that your scripts can work with the two php and...
> with php6, php7..... ;-))

Well, it won't be better than "try". PHP is too much of a moving target
that one could make any predictions of what might continue to work on PHP6.

Upgrading to a new version of PHP involves:
* making a list of all PHP primitives that we ever used (a daunting task
in itself),
* checking the documentation of all these primitives to see whether they
changed from PHP4 to PHP5,
* looking up all the places where a changed primitive was used, and
* and checking whether the change actually affects the code.
That's a huge amount of work just to keep software running that's
already in good working order, something that programmers *hate*.

Anyway - I'm going to start work on Ruletable for PHP5 today.

Regards,
Jo