[pmwiki-users] Wiki discussion on slashdot

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 09:02:30 CST 2006

Started yesterday, continues today...

*"The much-discussed Wikipedia <http://www.wikipedia.org/> could be
considered the quintessential definition of what Wiki software is capable
of. More recently, however, a plethora of specialized reference websites,
such as Wookieepedia
<http://starwars.wikicities.com/wiki/Main_Page>(Star-Wars) and the
Marvel
Database <http://www.marveldatabase.com/> (Marvel Comics), have popped up.
This got me to thinking, are websites the only viable use for wiki software?
Working in an IT department, the first alternative that came to my mind was
an intranet knowledge-base. TWiki <http://twiki.org/>, for instance, touts
itself as 'an Enterprise Collaboration Platform'. What other uses could take
advantage of Wiki? What changes would be needed to make it more applicable
in other areas of use?"

*at http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/21/1958244