[pmwiki-users] pagelist

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jan 21 18:27:10 CST 2006

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:16:25AM -0500, Fick, Martin wrote:
> From: Pierre-Marie CARETTE
> >  the new pagelist is wonderful (sidebar,menu...) Thanks
> >  Is it possible to use it with a trail ?
> >  <<|(:pagelist link=Category.Category:)|>>
> >  <<|(:pagelist Intro:)|>>
> >  <<|(:pagelist {$Group}.AllRecentChanges:)|>>
>
> The last report was that it might be broken with the
> latest pmwiki, but look into the PageListWikiTrail
> recipe, it will allow you to do that.

Actually, I'm thinking that the correct way to do trails with
pagelists is via a custom template, and not by trying to
adjust the trail functions.  Thus to generate a trail from
a pagelist one would use:

    (:pagelist fmt=#trail link=Category.Category:)

where #trail is defined on Site.PageListTemplates as

    [[#trail]]
    (:if equal {=$FullName} {$FullName}:)<< [[{<$FullName}]] | [[{=$FullName}]] | [[{>$FullName}]] >>(:if:)
    [[#trailend]]

See, for example, http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/PageListTrail .
This works everywhere except the beginning and end of the list,
so I'm thinking that perhaps we modify the link markup so that an
empty link target always results in the output of a null string.

Then, since people would tend to try to combine trails
with pagelist, we could also define

    <<|(:pagelist ...:)|>>

to be automatically replaced by

    (:pagelist fmt=#trail ...:)

and then what people expect to work would "just work".

It might even be possible to redefine all of the trail markups
to be entirely based on pagelists, so that

    <<| Some Page |>>

gets transformed into

    (:pagelist fmt=#trail trail=Group.SomePage:)

but I'm not in favor of that much of a radical change to
trails just yet.