[pmwiki-users] vBulletin 3.5 user system integration

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 20 12:58:51 CST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 07:46:40PM +0100, Tim Ahrentlov wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply. It sounds very promising. Please allow me to
> follow up with a couple of questions to your suggestions.
>
> A:    $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = (<person_is_logged_in>) ? '' : '*';
>
> Q: 	What other $DefaultPasswords are there?

The ones defined in the core distribution are 'read', 'edit', 'attr', 'admin',
and 'upload' (if uploads are enabled).

> A: 	$Author = <VB_username>;
>
> Q1:	Will this make the system stop asking for an author name or will it
> merely pre-fill it with the VB Username as a default?

The system will still ask for an authorname, and it will pre-fill it
with the VB Username.  However, any changes the author makes in this
field will be ignored, because the setting in local/config.php will
take precedence.  If you want to remove the field altogether, just
edit the Site.EditForm page and remove it.  :-)

> Q2:	What about the link to the VB users profile page? Can I do the
> following: $Author=<a
> href="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/member.php?u=1">Administrator</a> and
> expect pmwiki to show both name and link?

Try this:

  $AuthorLink = "[[http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/member.php?u=1 | $Author]]";

> A: if (<user_is_admin>) $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = '';
>
> Q: Will pmwiki still prompt for password for vb users not recognized as
> privileged?

Yes.  So, you can still use passwords as another way to allow people
to edit pages (on top of the VB authorizations).  Or, if you want to
eliminate the form, just change the Site.AuthForm page to provide
an appropriate "access denied" message, or perhaps provide a link
to where someone can log in using the VB scripts.

One other change you might want to make in your local/config.php
file is to lock ?action=attr :

    $DefaultPasswords['attr'] = '*';

This will prevent people with edit permissions from being able to
set passwords on pages and groups (which would override the site defaults).