[pmwiki-users] how to prevent multiple ppl trying to change the same page?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 17 00:56:28 CST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 07:43:15AM +0100, muab ila wrote:
> Chris Cox wrote:
> > muab ila wrote:
> >>how to prevent multiple ppl trying to change the same page?
> >
> > Is there a reason you want to prevent this?  Just curious.
> > I mean, pmwiki will have the last one out do a merge (it
> > will reopen the edit again with both changes and let you
> > sort it out).
> >
> yes there is =)
>
> imagin, u open the edit form, content is the actual page...
> ur working on a change...
> someone else is doing the same at the same time, the one who
> saves the pages at last will "win", the original  page + his changes
> will be saved, the other ones will be lost.

PmWiki does edit merging.  The last person to save is returned
to the edit form with a message that "someone else modified the
page while you were editing it", and the text contains both sets
of changes.  The author can then fix up any conflicts and request
that it be saved again.

Try it on pmwiki.org:
   - open two browser windows to be editing the same page
   - make some changes in one window, hit save (everything works)
   - switch to the other window, make some changes, hit save,
     and you're returned to the edit form with both sets of
     changes in the edit form