[pmwiki-users] lots of problems when redirecting or rewriting URLs

Daniel Friedmann list at linuxing.de
Sun Jan 15 09:13:31 CST 2006

Hello

I'm trying to shorten the URLs:

from
http://spampal.de/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

http://spampal.de/pmwiki/Main/HomePage

or even better to
http://spampal.de/Main/HomePage

How can I achieve this when my PmWiki is located in
/var/www/spampal.de/htdocs/pmwiki?

First of all, I only have very basic knowledge of Linux but have a
dedicated Debian server for free (donated to the SpamPal project) so I
can't ask my provider to help me for all the little Linux things I might
need.

I read http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Christian/RedirectURI and tried all
three ideas with my paths but nothing worked.

I also have access to the Apache httpd.conf but adding a line like
	Alias /pmwiki/ /var/www/spampal.de/htdocs/pmwiki
or
	Alias /wiki "/var/www/spampal.de/htdocs/pmwiki/pmwiki.php"
didn't work as well.

What makes the ideas on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CleanUrls
very complicated are the comments in between. There are several comments
for shorter and/or better alternatives but also some comments with
drawbacks for them.

I don't quite know what is the best working solution which is
recommended. This is very frustrating because I really tried dozens of
very similar and completely different solutions but haven't succeed so far.

--
Regards
Daniel