[pmwiki-users] Suggested default template changes for 2.1

Simon s-i-m-o-n at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jan 14 21:00:48 CST 2006

The context for this is that for all my PmWikis, I create a skin,
ie in config.php use   $Skin = "ttcnew";
This means of course that I don't alter the default "pmwiki" skin
template or css file.

In fact the /ttcnew/pmwiki.css has as its first  line
@import url("/pmwiki/pub/skins/pmwiki/pmwiki.css");
This means I can relay, by and large, on updates to the default skin's
css working properly without my aving to reintegrate them.
Also my CSS file is smaller, and only captures the customisations I need.

Now I don't know about other admins,
but my preferred approach to customisation is to use css
(rather than code or template changes)
through the skin's pmwiki.css.

As long as most elements in a page are given a class
(not an id please - sometimes we want to reuse them)
and appropriate bracketing (eg span or div where there is not element
already)
this works a treat.

But from tie to time you will see requests asking for a class to be
added to an element,
or, like this one, the ordering to be changed so the "hard coded" css in
the wiki page is more amenable to the influence of the skin's css file.

Consequently I would prefer to be able to override "in page" styles to
get the look and feel I am after.

thanks again

Simon