[pmwiki-users] Handling of PageNotFound situations

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 12 14:40:52 CST 2006

On 1/11/06, Fick, Martin <fick at fgm.com> wrote:

>   Well, this will not really help for misspellers,
>  they will still click on the link won't they?

I forgot about categories not having question marks when the page doesn't exist.

I'll revise and elaborate...

When an author creates a link to new category, give the link a question mark.

Clicking the link will create a page from a template.  To reduce
confusion, the template would have an explanatory comment using
(:comment:) or (:if false:) markup.

With this in place, when a category already exists they'll see the ' ?
' and have an opportunity correct the spelling.

Taking this a bit further, for the sake of author-friendliness...

Ship PmWiki with a Category.GroupFooter page that contains markup like

    (:pagelist '!{$Namespaced}' list=normal fmt=simple:)

and use something like this for the template

    (:comment  This is a category page.  Use "Preview" :)
    (:comment  to see the full output, including       :)
    (:comment  GroupHeader and GroupFooter content.    :)
    $[Pages in this category:]

(Of course the usual first-draft disclaimers apply.)

End Result:
An author can create a new category by only creating a [[!category
link]] and visiting it once.  When they do that, the default output
for the category page will be

    Pages in this category:
        * SomeGroup.SomePage

Hagan