[pmwiki-users] [pmwikiusers] Search rankings/results

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 12 14:40:41 CST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 02:41:31PM -0500, GravyFace wrote:
> On 1/12/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > By default, search results tend to be ordered by page name.
> > This can be changed by using the order= parameter.
>
> I'm not really clear on how to use this "order" parameter.  Is that a
> query string parameter?  What are valid order values?

It's a pagelist parameter, which means it can be part of a search
query, specified in the (:pagelist:) directive, or given as a
url (query string) parameter.

Inside a wiki page, one can do

    (:pagelist group=Cookbook order=-time count=10:)

and get a list of the ten most recently modified Cookbook pages.
See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/PageListOrder .

Then, url query string parameters can be used to override the
settings in the (:pagelist:) directive, thus the url

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/PageListOrder?order=name?count=5

overrides the (:pagelist:) settings and displays the first five
pages in the Cookbook group in alphabetical sequence.

Finally, one can use these in a search box, thus entering a search
query of

    "Cookbook/ order=-time"

returns all of the pages in the cookbook, ordered by last modification
time.

Any page attribute can be used as an order value; the common ones are

    order=name         page's name
    order=title        page's title
    order=time         last modification time
    order=ctime        page creation time
    order=author       last author
    order=size         size of markup in bytes

> > I'm frequently on the lookout for a good search engine platform
> > that could be easily installed alongside PmWiki, but so far I
> > haven't been too impressed with the ones I've found.
>
> Which ones have you tried?

I've looked primarily at ht://Dig, swish-e, and (briefly) mnoGoSearch
and Lucene.